Ohio Leadership Academy
Ohio Leadership Academy
A Ministry of the American Baptist Churches of Ohio and the Cleveland Baptist Association of American Baptist Churches
What is the Ohio Leadership Academy?
The Ohio Leadership Academy exists as a 3-year course of study to prepare men and women to serve American Baptist Churches in positions of leadership through leadership enrichment and professional ministry development. The Academy serves to further enrich the Christian faith of its students and equip laity as well as pastors for leadership in the local church.
Since its inception more than 20 years ago, the Ohio Leadership Academy has graduated over 100 students. Graduates of the program have gone on to serve in a variety of leadership capacities in their local churches, including pastorate positions.
Upon graduating from the Academy, graduates have the opportunity to become licensed ministers by their congregations or candidates for Track Three ABC Ordination.
Why should I consider the Ohio Leadership Academy?
• To enrich your Christian faith
• To be equipped to serve as a lay leader in your congregation
• To be equipped for pastoral leadership or other forms of ministry
Candidates for Track Three Ordination are assigned a Mentor Pastor who provides encouragement and practical ministry guidance to graduates for up to three years following graduation.
Three-Year Course of Study Option
• The Academy is structured around 4 weekend intensives in November, January, March and May
• Each academic year includes 5 courses through a hybrid model (in-person and online)
• A total of 120 credit hours
• Subjects include: Biblical Studies, Systematic Theology, Baptist History and Polity, Church Leadership, Worship and Preaching
Course requirements include (but are not limited)
• Attendance at every intensive
• Out of class reading
• Writing assignments
• Practical ministry experience
Academy faculty are American Baptist ministers or professionals who are passionate about the gospel and committed to healthy local church ministry. These men and women are also committed to excellence in the educational preparation of students who will serve in a variety of leadership roles in local congregations.
All faculty members are graduates of accredited theological institutions who hold masters and/or doctoral degrees. Each faculty member has experience in professional ministry, utilizing the knowledge and practicing the skills or disciplines he or she teaches in the Academy.
Where do students attend the weekend intensive classes?
The Central Ohio cohort currently convenes at The Bridge Church in Sunbury, Ohio.
What are the Tuition and Fees for the Academy?
• Annual tuition is currently $375, however it is possible that tuition may increase depending on general cost and enhances for the program. The tuition covers instructional fees and lunch on the Saturday of each intensive weekend.
• Each selective course is $100 per course
• A $25 non-refundable fee is required to process prospective student application.
• Additional costs to students include books, other instructional materials, and travel expenses, including meals and overnight lodging as needed.
We are pleased that tuition has remained low and well below the cost of seminary education. The current tuition equates to less that $10 per credit hour for the 40-credit hour/year curriculum.
How do I apply for the Ohio Leadership Academy?
For admission to the Academy, students must be given strong recommendations by their local church pastors or the appropriate church body of their participating ABC/Ohio or CBA churches and endorsed by their respective Region.
Applications for admission:
APPLICATION: MS Word
The Academy is guided by:
Dr. Seth Fallon
Dean, Ohio Leadership Academy
CONTACT PASTOR SETH - CLICK HERE!
Rev. Jane Gibbons
Executive Minister of Ministry Programming and Ministry Development, ABC/Ohio
Leadership Academy Staff Coordinator
Rev. Mark Click
Executive Minister of Administration and Denominational Relationship, ABC/Ohio
Rev. Yvonne Carter
Executive Minister, CBA
ABC Ohio Celebrates Ohio Leadership Academy 2019 Graduates
Congratulations to the 2019 Graduates of the American Baptist Churches of Ohio Leadership Academy!
(Back Row 2019 Faculty) Tim Mohon, Dan Bellavia, Dennis Shultz, Sandra Quick, David Hansen, David Brown, Seth Fallon, Jane Gibbons
Leadership Academy Graduation 2014
The ABC/Ohio Leadership Academy gathered for orientation and to celebrate in the graduation of the 2014 graduating class. The graduates planned and led the graduation service. Nearly a full house of family, friends, and church members attended the joy-filled gathering. The returning and new students received instructions and class materials for the four intensive weekends that begin in November and conclude in May, 2015.
ABC Ohio Celebrates Ohio Leadership Academy 2012 Graduates
Congratulations to the 2012 Graduates of the American Baptist Churches of Ohio Leadership Academy! Commencement was held this last Saturday, 8 September.